I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Going to Galle



Today I tore myself away from my rigorous schedule of lounging under palm trees. I took the local train, which was a priceless experience (10 cents actually), to the town of Galle. The main attraction in the colonial city is the Galle Fort dating back to 1663. The fort, now a World Heritage Site, was built by the Dutch and provides a stunning walk around the rough coast at the bottom of Sri Lanka.

It was also fun to walk inside the fort to see the Dutch architecture. I was excited to see a large Methodist church inside the fort walls. Today alone I’ve seen two Buddhist monasteries from the train, several large Buddha statues, a Jain temple, countless Hindu shrines and a mosque.

The trip down to Galle was interesting, but I was happy to get back up the coast to my delicious schedule of doing nothing!

No comments: