I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Heavenly Hikkaduwa


At long last I am in the sand on the SW coast of Sri Lanka! I chose the town of Hikkaduwa for it's great diving, but the weather hasn't cooperated this year and diving season hasn't begun yet. So, I'm lounging and relaxing in this tropical paradise.

Because of an unfortunate incident involving a mouse that liked my warm bed in Hill Country, I started looking at the best hotels in Wewala just south of Hikkaduwa. In this surfer town of fan-only beach bungalows, I found a spa-like hotel with an open entrance complete with infinity pool. I almost fell to my knees in thanks when I walked into The Reef. My zen room is nothing short of divine and I've already extended my stay in Sri Lanka to enjoy it longer!

I was stunned at the Tsunami damage when we drove along the beach rode. It looks like it happened yesterday. Not much has been built back along the beach, but there are workers in many of the beach front hotels and restaurants. The destruction was massive. There are tent cities set up and Red Cross drinking water stations around along with signs of thanks to the countries who are helping rebuild. At breakfast one morning the cute waitress told me that she loves the USA because they came in and built 25 houses immediately after the storm. There are still many aid workers here helping. I'm very glad I came here to spend my money where it's truly needed!

My days are spent taking long walks on the beach, reading under the palm trees, and watching the surfers ride huge waves. There's even a turtle nesting ground nearby and we see turtles swiming close to shore frequently. The locals couldn't be more friendly and my hotel staff is taking great care of me. I feel like a tropical princess here!

No comments: