I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Paying for Paradise




Tropical luxury doesn’t come cheap. The Republic of Maldives is my splurge stop. The dive safari was reasonable at about $130 a day including my nice cabin, great food, and 3 dives a day. The rental equipment was another $150, but all in all a fantastic deal for the Maldives.

Ellaidhoo Resort is a steep $140 a day for my beautiful bungalow and half board (breakfast and lunch buffets). Everything else is extra here with dives at $47 each(compared with about $25 in Thailand and Indonesia) and even the gym is $7 per use. And, the painfully slow Internet is highway robbery at 50 cents a minute ($30 an hour!) compared with about $1-2 an hour in SE Asia. Unfortunately, this means photo downloading is out in the Maldives. Yikes, I’d better sign off and hit the free beach!

No comments: