I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Zipping Around Monteverde





I was drawn to Monteverde when I learned that it was settled by a group of Quakers from Alabama. When 4 Quakers were arrested in Alabama for refusing the Korean War draft, a group left the US in protest. They moved to Costa Rica where the military had been abolished and chose Monteverde (Green Mountain) for the perfect cattle grazing lands. The Quakers started a dairy farm and agreed to preserve the Cloud Forest of Monteverde.

The area is spectacular and has remained small due to the nearly impassable roads. The community decided not to pave the roads to limit the visitors. Ironically, one of the coolest adventure activities was started here--zip lines. They run cables through the top of the trees and you take off in a harness gliding from each platform. It's the only way to fly, and to see the canopy of the cloud/rain forests which is home to the majority of the flora and fauna. I spent a couple of hours whipping through the canopy with 3 of my roommates, who were Canadian and outfitted in LuLu Lemon from head to toe. Just when we relaxed they added free falls, including a Tarzan swing that required a major leap of faith! What a way to start the day.

After a nice Tica (Costa Rican) "Tipical Food" lunch of chicken and rice, I was off to the Don Juan coffee plantation. I learned all about the rise of coffee in Costa Rica. High quality coffee basically built the economy of the nation. We even met cute little Don Juan working in the fields in his 70's.

As the coffee tour shuttle dropped me off at the Hostel another one was waiting to take us on a night hike in the forest. It started with a bang as we saw a slough on the way. Our guide was a passionate naturalist and left our group very inspired to save the rain forests! I was amazed that Costa Rica, which is the size of West VA, has 6% of the worlds biodiversity. CR serves as a bridge between the Americas and between the Caribbean and the Pacific which has created a very unique environment. We saw a gray fox that has learned to climb trees like a cat to catch prey! Very cool!

Now that I've learned so much and gotten my adrenalin fix, it's time to head to the coast! Tropical beaches here I come...

No comments: