I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Monday, May 14, 2012

Amazon Queen


Three days ago I floated off on the Amazon with my guide Freddy to tame the wilderness, or at least see a little bit of it.  Our small boat also carried two travelers from Sweden and Columbia in search of adventure.  We were able to find a slough, macau, parrot and several monkeys, which boarded our boat to play.  We also went by a village house where a boy rowed out in a canoe with an Anaconda for the obligitory photo. The other travelers took a swim in the Amazon, but I passed on the opportunity after having seen what went into it as we made the three hour journey down river from Iquitos.





After an evening in the Dolphin lodge, where we had only three ours of electricity, I was ready to explore the jungle.  Freddy used a machete to blaze a new trail.  I learned about trees that cure everything from ovarian cancer to goiters. Trees that make beautiful white floors and those that make dark parquet patterns.  I stopped counting the mushroom types.  I enjoyed the "decorative" things like the bird of paradise.  However, Freddy clearly favored termite mounds, ant colonies, spider holes, bascially anything insect related.  Did mention that we were knee high in mud the entire time? I was thankful for the rubber boots, but regretted my decision to only bring one pair of pants to the jungle.

We passed one afternoon fishing for piranhas.  Our boat captain caught a white one and showed me the strong teeth.  It was only a baby so we tossed him back.  My biggest Amazon moment was seeing the pink dolphins.  It took several tries, but we found them! They are shy and beautiful.  The natives think they are bewitched.  I just think they are amazing!

It was an exciting three day jungle adventure.  I can live without electricity when surrounded with beauty, but it was time to come back to civiliazation when they ran out of coffee!

No comments: