I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Monday, May 07, 2012

Eating in the Andes



Victor, our tour director, thwarted my plan to have ceviche every day in Peru.  He has a long list of what we are to avoid.  So, I’m exploring the Andean cuisine with gusto.  The food has been great.  You have to love an area that has over 3,000 types of potatoes and almost 1,000 varieties of corn!  It’s a meat lover’s paradise.  The pork, beef, alpaca are all very tasty.  But the local staple that is hard to understand is guinea pig.  Like Americans, families here keep many guinea pigs around the house, but they don’t name them -- they’re for dinner!
We had a lovely Sunday lunch with a family in Cusco and got to try many local specialties including the dreaded guinea pig.  We had seen them in the open air markets for sale and they didn’t look appetizing at all.  But when sliced as an appetizer I was game.  They were alright, but full of small bones which reminded me of the cute little furry pets.  I just ate more potatoes and tried to forget…



No comments: