I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Friday, May 11, 2012

Now in Iquitos


 Who knew how much I would enjoy my group travel experience?  My roommate, Diane, and I laughed for 10 days straight while we learned a great deal about the history of this fascinating country.  The nice hotels, excellent tour guides and jammed sightseeing schedule were all worth a few touristy shops and buffet meals.  All in all I would do another Odysseys Unlimited tour in a heart beat.

I was sad to say goodbye to my traveling friends and strike out on my own. But the Amazon awaits!  I made it to Iquitos and the Camiri Floating hostel/bar just fine.  The humid, hot air and mass of tuk-tuks make this area feel a bit like Asia in the summer.  Quite a bit to take in after the cool Andes climate.



I literally walked the planks to my thatched roof hostel only to find my room still under construction. They had a great spin--I will be the first one to sleep in it.  Actually I´ve been reading about all the flooding and damage in the Amazon region this year.  Highest river levels in 40 years.  I´m lucky that there is a floating hostel at all.  I jumped in a hammock, cold beer in hand, and made friends with the travelers.  My room was finished in no time.  I´ve gone from five stars to a bunk with a mosquito net ($13 a night) in a matter of hours.

My roommates, two girls from Yale med school, arrived a bit later and together with a boy from Oz (isn´t there always an Aussie in the picture?) we ventured into town for dinner and a look-see.  We found a great little restaurant and enjoyed the perfect first night in the Amazonas.  A few more beers and an Ambien helped me get through the warm, still night without a bite!

No comments: