I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Sunday, May 06, 2012

Made it to Machu Picchu





Filled with excitement, we trekked the Inca Rail (luxury VisaDome train) and took the 30 minute bus ride to the Lost City of the Incas. Arriving in the cloud forest was magical. The sun broke though and Machu Picchu looked heavenly as we hiked up the stone steps.  It's simply wonderful when a destination lives up to the hype.  Even now with tourist milling about, you can feel the mystical pull.  Our guide Sergio truly brought the Inca architecture and customs to life for us. We saw Llamas and Chinchilla's roaming about and were free to explore for two days.

For those who aren't familiar with Machu Picchu, it was begun in 1450 and finished by the Incas in 1520.  God only knows how they got those huge stones up to the top of a mountain.  Actually I heard all about it and still can't believe it.  It served as the summer retreat for the Incan king and was abandoned in 1532 when the Spanish ripped through Peru. The jungle took over and Machu Picchu was "discovered" again by Hiram Bingham in 1911.  Hiram was searching for fame and fortune and hit the jackpot.  Last year was the 100 year anniversary of the discovery.

From the moment I set eyes on the Lost City of the Incas all I wanted to do was run up and down the grass terraces. It is simply irresistible.  Finally, I found a place out of the guard's eye sight where I could take off. I managed several lengths and did not get caught.  My mission here is complete!

Time to head back to our spa hotel and hot springs, Incaterra.  Between the thatched roofs and the zen flowers I could stay here a while.  But more of Peru to experience!




No comments: