I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Loving and Leaving Lima

I've spent three days exploring three districts of Lima, only 27 more to go.  Lima is huge.  The main city spreads over 300 miles, without the suburbs.  Over one-third of Peru's population lives here.  When I arrived on May 1 our group explored the historic city center with museums and churches. I'm now hanging out in the coastal upscale neighborhoods for some local flavor.

Miraflores -- My hostel is in this lovely area.  Located on cliffs above the Pacific Ocean, Miraflores has a very Southern California feel.  The architecture is contemporary and beachy, bougainvillea everywhere, the best restaurants in the city, great surfing, posh stores and a generally relaxed vibe.  If I moved to Peru, this is where I'd live.  My favorite place is the Lovers Park overlooking the Pacific.  There is a very Gaudi-esque decor and a floral garden to rival Disney World.


Barranco -- This is the nightlife capital and supposedly the bohemian area.  More of the artisan class live in the area, but well to do young Lima comes here to party.  The churches and momuments are lit at night and you can see the Pacific.  It's a goregous area to explore at night!  And by explore I mean sample the endless ways to drink Pisco.

San Isidro --This is the "Upper East Side" of Lima.  Madison Avenue quality shopping, a central park filled with pram pushing Moms, and perfectly manicured streets.  The people watching was superb. Right on the border with Miraflores is a pre-Columbian temple site.  Huaca Pucllana is a restored adobe ceremonial center that dates back to 400 AD. It was incredible to learn about all the rituals and human sacrifices while seeing the plush surrounding.


In my opinion, Lima has it all.  Fabulous food, gorgeous views, an abundance of spas, great style and a true coastal feel make these areas of Lima a beautiful place to live. I've decided not to head to the beaches in Peru.  The coastal May gray weather and off season feel make Pensacola sound like a much better beach destination.  So, tomorrow I'm off for home.

No comments: