I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Beginning in Beijing

I arrived in Beijing after dark and was driven through what looked like scary alleys to my hostel. I braced myself and went in to find an adorable place! The Peking Down Town Backpackers is a great! The $9 a night rooms are clean, the A/C cranks, and each has a bathroom. They have laundry service (it is China), good Internet access, and a fun cafe/bar attached. I immediately met some fun people (including a girl from Selma, AL!) and felt right at home. I learned that the strange alley ways are what's called a Hutong here. They are sections of old windy streets, and mine is particularly hip. The people in the bar said that the Maoer Hutong is like a mix of old Chinese families and new trendy shops, restaurants, and bars. Apparently it is very safe too.

I'm glad that I have a week here to explore this fascinating city.

No comments: