I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Touring Tokyo


Coming from China into Tokyo was quite a shock! The dirt and charm of China were dramatically replaced by extreme cleanliness and modern efficiency. Arriving in Japan is a treat. I put coins in a computer to check my email while waiting for the fast train into the Toyko. The trains are immaculate, the taxi doors actually open and close by themselves and the taxi drivers wear white gloves!

I was delighted to arrive and see my friend Setsuko. Her apartment, located in the very fashionable Hatsudai area in Shibuya, is adorable and it is fantastic to have all the comforts of home once again! Last night I donned my Pucci top (which I brought around the world for this visit) and went out for fabulous evening with Setsuko and her boyfriend Masaki. We went to a trendy bar for cocktails and then a restaurant called Ninja. We were taken by a Ninja through a maze of danger to our table. The menu was unique even for Japanese standards. We had sushi on magnificent wood, raddish pasta with fish eggs, meat and fois gras with our saki. There are even silent buttons under the tables to ring for the waitress (they leave you alone unless you ring). It was such fun!

Tokyo is a wonderful blend of grace, gentility and kindness. As Setsuko and I toured the city today I was constantly amazed with the way everyone treats each other. The term "as a show of respect" seldom comes up in New York City and it was the answer to so many of my questions today. We could certainly learn a lot from these lovely people.

Setsuko, with her white lace umbrella to protect her from the sun, showed me the town today. We went to Yoyogi Park which was filled with musicans and actors practicing McBeth in Japanese, the gardens at the Imperial Palace, and two great shopping areas Harajuku and Ginza. I saw the Tokyo Tower and even a Japanese celebrity, who's apparently been married 5 or 6 times--sounds like our Elizabeth Taylor. It was a lovely day of touring and girl talk!

No comments: