I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Preparing to take on the Yangzi River

I flew into Chonging on August 7 to get an overview of the region and prepare to float down the Yangzi. Chonging, affectionately referred to as one of China's three furnaces because it is always hot and smoky. The city is very industrial and the buildings are modern. According to my cute guide Liu Yao (Kay in English,) they manufacture cars and light machinery. First, we went to a stunning concert and ballet hall. Which looked like the China I came to see. Kay said that she attends performances there and they also have political conferences.

Kay told me that the thing she likes most about living in Chonging, which mean double happiness, is the food. The famous dish is the hotpot. Kay says that even in the extreme heat they sit outside and share hotpots (very spicy dishes) with friends. They believe that you sweat out all your problems and cares and are left feeling happy after this type of meal. This is obviously not my cup of tea, and I am thrilled that she didn't suggest we sit and sweat during our tour!

The main attraction in Chonging was the Three Gorge Museum where thankfully I learned all I need to know about this section of the Yangzi River. They are in the process of building the world's largest dam, which will change the river forever and submerge the three gorges I've traveled to the ends of the earth to see. I'm glad I got here when I did!

The Yangzi River Dam will be operational in 2009, taking 12 years to complete. The project will displace 1.2 million people and 12 towns. This is good news for the young people because the area is poor and they are able to relocate at government expense to larger cities with more opportunity. The move is obviously very painful though for the older people who do not want to leave their family homes. So far the river has risen 75 meters and the water level will be 135 meters higher on completion.

With a great overview from a long mural painting, I was ready for the sights I would see on my river journey!

No comments: