I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Soaked in Shanghai

As I toured around Shanghai yesterday, I noticed a strange air pressure. It was hot and muggy, yet a major warm wind was blowing. I thought this feels strangely like a hurricane is brewing. Or, this could be the typical summer weather in Shanghai for all I knew.

That evening my roommate, another fun Aussie, and I ventured to dinner in the neighborhood with two guys from northern England, who had just arrived for a year in China to teach English (a frightening thought because I could barely understand them). As we had a great meal at a very cool restaurant, I watched the wind really pick-up. Just in time to leave the bottom dropped out and the rains came! When we got back to the hostel soaked to the bone we learned that this was Typhoon Matsa, which had hit Taiwan earlier. So, I can add Shanghai typhoon survivor to my list of adventures!

No comments: