I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Gili gan's Island



Life on the little island of Gili Trawangan is simply paradise. I have been here for four days and just changed my ticket to stay a week! It doesn't get much more relaxing than this...

From Bali I took a ferry over to Lombok which is known as Bali's quieter twin in the Nusa Tenggara islands. I just breezed through Lombok on my way to one of the three tiny gili's (islands) off the coast.

Gili Air is reportedly lovely and the perfect place for families, while Gili Meno is more deserted and would actually be more Gilligan's island like. And, Gili Trewangan is of course the most active. By active, I mean there are fun restaurants, bars, dive shops, book stores, etc. But, there are also roosters running free, donkey carts are the only transportation, and the electricity goes out at least every other day.

Sorry for my lack of blogging. Internet access here is truly the coconut telegraph. I've tried to post a few prize winning blog entries, but as they say "it doesn't want to send now, try back later..."

I am staying at the Blue Marlin Dive Center bungalows. I'm on a dive and stay package allowing me to stay permanently under water! The dive instructors and dive masters are the best. I've dramatically improved my diving ability, and seem to be getting over my new fear of Trigger Fish. The best thing about diving in this area is the abundance of sea turtles. I've seen as many as five turtles in the same area. They are so marvelous to watch!

Two days ago I developed an ear issue on a deep dive and have been trying to take it easy (meaning only one to two dives a day, at least until Thailand). Today I had great fun taking a digital camera down and learned that I am no Jane Cousteau. I'm sure that I'll get a CD of empty water where pretty fish had been. But, I will post my masterpieces on Wednesday when I am back in civilization. In the meantime, think of me swiming around the beautiful coral chasing tropical fish...