I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Just "Being" in Bali




I had to fly through another typhoon (Talim) in Taipei to get here, but I have arrived in paradise. In my country prep I learned that Indonesia is the 4th largest country in the world by popluation, and the largest Muslim nation. However, you would never know it in the tiny village of Padang Bai where I'm calling home. There are only a couple of streets, no stop signs, and chickens and goats roam freely.

I chose this remote little haven on Bali because of the easy access to great diving. I wanted to relax and avoid sightseeing, but it impossible to avoid the unique culture of Bali. Bali is one of the 17,000 plus islands that make up Indonesia. Although it is considered a Muslim nation, there are many religions and most of the natives of Bali are Hindu. The women of my little hamlet make Hindu straw and flower offerings everyday that they place all over the village. There is one outside my bunglow door every day. There are little shines everywhere and no one passes by without making a gesture to the Gods!

I adore my hotel the Puri Rai, which has two infinity pools, and the guys at Geko Dive, who are great fun! Yesterday one of the guys took me on a motorbike to a white sand beach and then picked me up later so that I wouldn't have to walk 15 min. Love the Princess treatment!

Today we did two dives to the Blue Lagoon area, which is a spectacular reef filled with amazing fish! We saw a shark on each dive, played with sting rays, and got attacked by a trigger fish. It was a banner day!

I am now on my way to a wonderful dinner that will cost about $4. It will involve sitting on cushions and dogs will be roaming about. Beer and coke are less than $1. And, an hour pool-side massage is $5. Hummm, I could sell one of my apartments and live here forever!

The only downside is the Internet. It's truly the coconut telegraph. The dial-up access is terminal and photos are out! So, you can just picture me on a beach or playing with neon fish for the next few days until I get to my next exotic Gili (island).

No comments: