I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I am in Siam!

I left Indonesia kicking and screaming, but was glad to touch down in Thailand. Bangkok is the only place on world tour that I have visited before. Brian and I came here on vacation after a congressional staff junket to Taiwan a hundred years ago. I can't wait to see how the city has changed.

I had a good flight in and sat by a nice guy from LA, Larry, who I plan to meet up with in the islands in a few days. I should have known from the bumpy descent that the weather would not be on my side. Apparently a monsoon landed in Bangkok at the same time I did.

The hotel I booked was unacceptable, so I decided to treat myself and headed straight for The Oriental. It is pure heaven! Staying in the most fabulous hotel in Bangkok, and one of the most famous hotels in Asia, puts a whole new spin on Bangkok. Rain, what rain? I have a butler!! I will try to channel some of the famous authors who have stayed there (from Gore Vidal to Barbara Cartland)...