I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The King and I




I woke up on a mission today to enjoy the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew (Temple of the Emerald Buddha) before I have to leave Bangkok on Thursday. The royal complex dates back to 1782 and houses over 100 buildings covered in gold glittering and colorful mosaics. It is a sight from the road and almost overpowering inside the white walls. I wore capri pants and a shirt with sleeves, but that wasn't enough. I was loaned a beautiful sari to wear because my pants did not come to the ground. I loved the sari and will have to bring one home!

I was in awe walking around the royal compound. The images are so vibrant and the architecture so uniquely Thai. Grand images of Siam kept coming to mind, and I could see King Rama V, the Prince who became King at the end of the movie "The King and I" (the original version), bringing this special Kingdom into the modern world.

While the royal complex was fantastic to wonder around, the home of the Emerald Buddha was under restoration. I was glad to be able to see the famous Buddha (probably made of jade) in one of his special robes, which are changed each season by King himself, even if the temple was a bit covered up!

We know how I love a royal palace, but a palace in Siam is as good as it gets!

No comments: