I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Ko More

Yesterday morning after the Full Moon Party I was off to the third little Ko (island)in the Gulf of Thailand, Ko Tao. I was surprised at how many backpackers were up, or back, for the 11am ferry departure. I was pleased to be feeling no worse for the wear myself and impressed that my friend Larry was up and ready to go after his very late night.

We had a small storm, but I was glad that the ferry was running -- at least until we left the dock. The ferry was like a raft in a hurricane, as we were thrown from side to side and the whole boat responded by throwing right back. It was a very painful hour and a half!

Ko Tao is an adorable little island for divers and those who love them. There are dive resorts all over the little sidewalk that runs down the beach. Several of us on the ferry chose to go with Ban's Diving Resort, because they had the nicest brochures. Good PR always gets me, but I wish it hadn't this time.

I had my first unpleasant diving experience. The resort was a "dive factory." It was all about the money and not the diving. We had about 60 people on our dive boat. I felt like I was in a New York traffic jam at the dive site. I am heading over to the west coast of Thailand where the diving is better (albeit off season) and they need the tourist money (post Tsunami). Tomorrow morning I'm taking a ferry back to the Fantasy Island airport on Ko Samui and standing-by for a full flight to Phuket. Wish me luck!

No comments: