I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Friday, September 23, 2005

Post Tsunami Phuket


I made to Phuket Province on the West Coast of Thailand without a hitch and managed to get settled in a cute little inexpensive hotel (Patong Premier Resort). For $22 a night I have a lovely room, decorated with Thai artifacts, and a great a/c. I immediately found a dive center and got my diving scheduled. I have a day to play in Phuket before I head out for a two day dive to another island.

We all saw footage of the Tsunami devastation in Phuket, Thailand's most popular holiday spot. Actually, Phuket did not suffer as badly as some of the other islands, but the economy has tanked a result of lost tourism. Everyone I talk to asks me to spread the word that Phuket is up and running, and it is. You can see some vegetation that has been destroyed and there is a good bit of new construction. But they are ready for visitors. The photo above is from an international art/sculpture exhibit on the beach to draw attention to the community and the need for travelers to come back to Phuket!

Phuket is called the "Pearl of the South," and has an interesting history. My favorite story is about two sisters (Chan and Mook) who saved Phuket from a Burmese invasion in 1785. Realizing they were out numbered they convinced all the women on the island to dress up as men and fooled the Burmese into believing the island was too well defended. In reality the Governor has just died and the Thai's were leaderless. There is a statue honoring the two sisters, who are considered national heros.

I did not go into Phuket town. I came straight to the beach like most travelers. There are three main beach towns to choose from Patong, the largest and most developed, and Kata and Karon, which are a little more rustic. I chose Patong and it's hopping even off season. The beach is lovely and has incredible sunset views. The bar scene is pretty sleazy and reminds me of some of the sorted areas in Bangkok. There is something for everyone here!

No comments: