I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Carefree in Kerala





I'm now a world away from the inspiring beauty and astounding filth of northern India. I flew into the coastal region of Kerala and was thrilled to see palm trees and big waves. A driver was waiting with one of the funny white "India Ambassador" cars to take me to the tiny village of Varkala.

Varkala is a simple village paradise. High cliffs overlook the rough surf beach. There are beach huts, tiny hotels, seaside restaurants displaying the catch of the day, and shops to browse. Varkala's a temple town. My driver proudly announced that he was born right next to the temple and that the great temple has its own elephant. Unfortunately, non-Hindus aren't allowed to go in the Janardhana Temple, so I've only walked the grounds.

I've been taking it easy and planning the last part of my journey here. I have breakfast by the Indian Ocean watching the waves, walk along the beach and then retreat to read in the middle of the day. It's hot and oppressively humid. I come out again for the spectacular sunsets and dinner alfresco.

I met three interesting German women (an interpreter, teacher and airline employee) on my first night and they left this morning for a backwater tour. It's been nice to relax in Varkala, and I'm now ready to head to the backwater myself tomorrow!

No comments: