I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Riding into Jodhpur




I flew into Jodhpur to meet my driver Abid and begin my Rajasthan tour. The one hour flight was much better than his 14 hour drive down to get me!

Rajasthan Overview

Rajasthan is the land of Maharaja's and exotic legends, and what most travelers want to see in India. The area is known for it's color and this is first thing that strikes me. I can't get enough of the women's beautiful sari's and abundant jewelry. They look like flowers in groups along the street. EVERY woman, no matter how poor is colorfully dressed. The colors in the market are vibrant like the south of France, the homes have a personality too. Rajasthan is truly a delight for the senses! And, although they have no power, they still have Maharaja's (Kings) today. The fairy tale continues...

Jodhpur

Jodhpur, founded in 1459, is known as the blue city, because many of the houses are painted a tranquil blue. Blue used to signify that a Brahmin, the upper class in the caste system, lived in the home, but today others choose blue too. The effect of the sea of blue is reminiscent of a Greek island with out the sea. As a matter of fact, the town sits on the edge of the Thar Desert, so there is a sea of neutral all around.

My favorite place in Jodhpur is Meherangarh (majestic fort), which towers over the city. I spent over three hours wandering around with a fantastic acoustiguide that made me feel like I was one of the Maharaja's wives in the 1800's parading around the halls in amazing attire. Of course, I would be on the second floor experiencing the court from a series of shielded balconies. However, I would not be one of the widows of the Maharaja in 1843, who left their hand prints on the gate as they followed his body and threw themselves on his burning funeral pyre.

The rooms of the palace were romantic and exotic as were the elephant howdahs (carriages), the embroidered tents for making camp in the desert and all the royal trinkets. This is what I came to India to see!

I also visited a Umaid Bhawan Palace, which is a modern palace created in 1929, when the Maharaja's still played a great deal of polo (yes, the pants came from here!), traveled lavishly and generally lived great lives. This was before India Independence. The current Maharaja still lives in the palace, but it is also a swank hotel to pay the bills.

Visiting Jodhpur is a great way to begin the Rajasthan experience!

No comments: