I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Pilgrimage to Pushkar




At first I was just praying that I would reach the holy city of Pushkar alive. Abid resembled the Hindu God with many arms as he weaved through six hours of country side at lightening speed. The best thing about Pushkar is that it's a pedestrian town!

I fell in love with this little holy hamlet on the water. The Pushkar Palace Hotel right on the lake was the nicest hotel I've had in India. There is a peacefulness around Pushkar that extends from the great Brahmin temple to the little shops and cafes that cling to the edge of the holy lake. Closing the day at the Sunset Cafe was my favorite time. However, the no alcohol, meat or eggs rule in town seems a bit harsh.

I've had enough pasta in pretty Pushkar, so it's time to take my life in my hands and head off to Jaipur...

No comments: