I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Why Sri Lanka?

As most of you know, my itinerary came from a list of all the places I'd always wanted to see. Sri Lanka wasn't on it. My adventurous travel agent, Greg, added Sri Lanka. He raved about the island that has everything and, what the heck, it's on the way.

Sri Lanka is called India-lite and is apparently a favorite among travelers to this region. According to the Lonely Planet, Marco Polo thought Sri Lanka was the finest island of its size in the entire world. This I've got to see!

I've done some research now and Sri Lanka has a little bit of everything--beautiful beaches with great surfing and diving, cool Hill Country full of tea plantations, great wildlife including 3,500 elephants, and ancient cities with fascinating temples. I'm going to see how much I can fit into a week in paradise!

No comments: