I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Romance of Udaipur

If you close your eyes and picture an exotic 16th century kingdom on a silver lake surrounded by mountains ruled by a powerful Maharana with extravagant tastes, many beautiful wives and hundreds of concubines--that's Udaipur. This place is a romance novel waiting to happen!

I watched the morning come to life from a boat on Lake Pichola. We saw the women washing clothes creating a spectacular riot of color. We cruised by the exclusive Lake Palace Hotel island. The Lake Palace Hotel was formerly the royal Summer Palace, and is where I'll stay on my next visit to Udaipur. We also stopped at Jagmandir Island which was once the Maharana's pleasure palace.

I spent the afternoon at the City Palace complex, which is the largest in Rajasthan. I learned that a Maharana is more powerful than a Maharaja, and that the current Mewar royal family is reportedly the oldest ruling dynasty in the world, with 76 generations of power. Over 22 Maharana have built and added to the City Palace. I even got to see the current Maharani (Queen) leaving the palace in a full on parade. She was in a huge white British car, proceeded by colorful men on horseback. Now that's traveling in style!

1 comment:

The Author said...

I cannot wait to go the Lake Palace!! You are the luckiest person to be there now - it's flooding here in NYC. Did you know that Octopussy was filmed there too??? Stay well!