I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Last Day in Bombay


I feel strangely at home here in Bombay. I traded up to a fab hotel, the Ascot Hotel (38 Garden Rd Colaba ascothotel@vsnl.com). My $60 a night room reminds me of my favorite place in Sonoma, the Hotel Healdsburg. The staff is like family, the street is lovely and convenient, and it's only two blocks to the water. I wish I could stay here longer and continue to explore my favorite Bombay.

I had a nice and relaxing last day. I visited the Prince of Wales Museum (photo above) which was really interesting. It was built to honor King George V's first visit to India in 1905, when he was still the Prince of Wales. The design is Indo-Saracenic which basically means many different Indian design techniques were combined including some Islamic influences. My favorite piece was a jewelry case carved out of ivory. The work was so intricate it looked like it was made of silk threads or fine lace. I haven't seen anything like that in a bazaar!

After a bit of culture, I visited a hip salon for a little pampering. I joined Bombay's jet set for a wonderful pedicure ($5) at Juice in Colaba. It is the perfect place for a little pick-me up!

Speaking of the jet set, I'm off at 3am tonight, or this morning, for Sri Lanka.

No comments: