I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Mumbai or Miami?




As I flew out of serene Kerala to Mumbai, I braced for the worst of India in its largest city. What I found was an exciting tropical city which reminds me of the rougher areas in Miami. I love it here!

Like many Indian cities, Bombay was renamed in 1996. I have dutifully been using the new name, Mumbai, even though Bombay is infinitely cooler. Now that I have arrived, I can tell you that the Indians who live here call this Bombay. So, I've decided I can too!

Bombay is a fascinating mix of British culture and Indian craziness. There are gorgeous Victorian and Gothic buildings, public parks filled with Indians dressed in white playing cricket, and tea time is observed. There are also many shopping bazaars, insane drivers, and Bollywood movies everywhere. This would be a great combination alone, but add in the tropical island feel with plentiful palm trees and sea views in all directions and you have one fabulous city!

I am staying in the Colaba district, the island's southernmost area, which is near the harbor. Bombay's most important site, the Gateway of India, is right down the road. The Gateway was constructed to commemorate King George V's visit to India in 1911. However, it eventually symbolized a different kind of triumph as the last of the British troops marched through the arch and out of India in 1947. It must have been amazing to visit here in the heyday of the Raj (British rule).

I decided to have a truly Bombay experience and see a Bollywood movie on my first night in town. I had a ball at "Salaam Namaste," which was not in English but was very easy to follow. The audience was almost singing and dancing with the cast during the three hour show. This is definitely the fun part of India!

No comments: