I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Monday, October 17, 2005

The Magnificent Taj Mahal



Visiting the Taj Mahal has been my dream for as long as I can remember, and it was even more beautiful than I could have imagined. This monument to love created by Emperor Shah Jahan as a mausoleum for his second wife, Mumtaz Mahal. Mumtaz died in 1631 in childbirth with the Emperor's 14th child! The mausoleum took over 20,000 people 22 years to build. It was a labor of love for the Emperor and has stood the test of time in both magnificent design and flawless construction. It's amazing to see a building from 1653 that looks so new and perfect in all respects. The white marble takes on the changing color of the sky and constantly looks different.

My first visit was at sunrise. Seeing the Taj Mahal literally took my breath away. I beat most of the tourists and had a unobstructed, magnificent view! There is just something about the building that sums up all that is great about love and sacrifice in one place. Although the simple gardens and water reflecting pools are lovely and the symmetry of the large red sandstone gates and outer buildings are wonderful, it's the almost translucent white marble building that captures all the attention. The design of domes and arches creates the feeling that the monument is floating toward heaven. The marble carving and inlay work also give the impression that the building is made of fine lace--even close up. It's both massive and light and airy at once.

I give great credit to India for halting development around the Taj Mahal, its greatest tourist attraction. Walking around the marble platform and seeing the river flow by peacefully and trees in all directions adds to the special "other worldly" feeling. Also, the majority of the visitors is overwhelmingly colorfully dressed Indians, which just adds an exclamation point on the spectacle.

I went back again to see the Taj at sunset, then went to the other side of the river to see a different view today. I literally spent hours looking at this monument and just can't get enough. I believe it's the most beautiful building ever created by man!

No comments: