I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Giza Pyramids and Sphinx



There are 108 pyramids in Egypt and those at Giza together with the Sphinx are the most famous. They are close to Cairo and remain in remarkable shape after all these years. What struck me the most was the lack of security and care at the sites. You could virtually walk right up to the pyramids. They exude mystery. You can't help but wonder about the people and their beliefs. I noticed a smaller pyramid next to the Choeps pyramid, which is one of the 7 wonders. The smaller pyramid was for those who died building the King's pyramid. According to Lami, it was an honor to work on the construction. I had always heard that they used slaves. There are separate pyramids for queens and high officials. Only the King and all his most precious belongings are buried in the pyramid. I guess they thought he would get new wives in the afterlife!

Why did they stop building pyramids? Tomb robbers! The kings chose a new burial site (the Valley of the Kings) which was considered safe. I will visit that in Luxor on my Nile Cruise.

A little about Lami, she is working on her PhD in Egyptology. She's 26, unmarried and adorable. She wore pants and a shirt (no robe) and a head scarf. She lives with her parents, which is the only thing she can do until she gets married. Like U.S. mothers, hers rides her about finding a husband. She is looking for someone enlightened who will let her work. She says that all men, even those her age, want a traditional wife to stay home and serve him. Apparently, she has until she's 28 until it gets embarrassing that she's not married. She cannot travel without her parents or a husband, and she would like to do so. It was fascinating talking to her over lunch. She is very intelligent, and made me feel that I have more in common with some Muslim women than I realized.

No comments: