I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Monday, July 18, 2005

Navigating the Nile





I have abandoned my plan of floating down the Nile on a Felucca (traditional old sail boat). Sounds very romantic, but not at 120 degrees. I have opted for a luxury cruise on the Anni instead! A girl needs her beauty rest!

Just so you don't think it's all roses on the road, I had an awful time planning the Nile cruise section of my trip. I felt like the travel people the hotel recommended weren't honest, the arrangements changed a million times, the flight was delayed six hours with no announcement, etc. I finally managed to get things arranged and I plan to enjoy myself now that I'm here!

I flew down to Aswan last night and spent the night in my fab stateroom. At first I didn't know what to do with all those comforts, but it came back to me! This morning a guide took me to see the Aswan dam, which supplies most of Egypt with Hydro power and took 11 years to build. They are very proud of it! Next, we stopped at a few more historical sites before taking a Felucca trip around the Nile. The boat was piloted by two Nubian men. The Egyptians are quick to point out how different the Nubians are in addition to their dark skin. I'm going to ask more questions about the cultural differences if I can find someone who speaks English!

My tour group from the boat is a group of Moroccans. They are great fun, but we cannot communicate without our guide translating. It is funny to watch us try though. They have asked me to change my program and come home to Morocco with them. I'm tempted!

We had a free afternoon and I have enjoyed it thoroughly! I have wondered the back streets around the Nile. Literally between goats and chickens, spice markets and hooka pipe-smokers, I saw a sign for an internet cafe. The dark alley was very frightening, but when I got down it the Internet place is adorable! Grass covered walls, bamboo tables for the computers, ceiling fans and a cute Muslin girl running the place. Wonders never cease!

I am going to amble back to the ship for a sunset cocktail now. We set sail this evening stopping for two days at ancient sites on our way to Luxor. I can't wait to sit on the deck and stare at the magical Nile! It's like a dream.

No comments: