I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Friday, June 17, 2005

The Barrios of Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires is an elegant city even in the winter rain! BA is divided into barrios or neighborhoods each with its own personality. I plan to get to know them all!

For my first two days, I'm staying in the Recoleta, the most distinguished neighborhood. If this were New York, I'd be uptown. The name Recoleta comes from the Barefoot Monks of Recoleta who lived here in the early 18th century. The area has a French feel with wide tree lined boulevards. There must be a rule that you have a green thumb or a gardner to live in the apartments with balconies, because they are all filled with lush green plants. Even in the winter there is a tropical feel.

I've visited the Buenos Aires Design Center, the National Museum of Fine Arts, and my favorite the Recoleta Cemetery. The above ground tombs in the cemetery are wonderful. I made the mandatory pilgrimage to Eva Peron's grave. A crowd was gathered to pay tribute. I also found time to do some shopping in the chic boutiques. I bought a dress, and showed great restraint to stop there.

I ventured over to the next barrio, the Palermo, to see some of the city's parks and visit the Evita Museum. Although there seemed to be a bit of revisionist history, I enjoyed learning more about Eva Peron and seeing some of her great clothes.

I'm headed out now for a nice grilled dinner. I feel so at home in this carnivorous culture. I've never had so much meat. I'm in heaven!

No comments: