I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Saturday, June 04, 2005

The Girl In Ipanema

Rio is the perfect beginning for my journey! This is the city of beautiful sunrises!I landed in a fabulous pink sky, and after an all night street dance I watched the sun come up on Ipanema beach this morning. I'm off to a picturesque start!

I found my way to Casa 6, an adorable B&B in Ipanema (www.casa6ipanema.com Rue Barao da Torre, 175), with no trouble and made friends fast! I'm in a room with 5 other people so it was easy. On my first evening there was a group dinner at the Casa where 9 of us had a brazilian version of Chicken pot pie--I'm truly at home! We ate, drank and danced for hours.

I'm thrilled that I chose to stay in Ipanema over Copacabana. Copacabana is the most crowded neighborhood in Brazil. It feels more like a city than a beach community. But, the beach is something to see!

I highly recommend Ipanema in the winter. I can't imagine being here in the summer heat. It´s now in the low 80´s and humid. I'm staying 3 blocks from the beach in a neighborhood of beautiful people! Surfers walk through the streets in their shorts, without shoes carrying their boards. People sit for hours in the outdoor cafes along the tree lined streets. It feels like summer to me!

1 comment:

The Author said...

What a wonderful start to your trip!! We are very jealous here in NYC - although it is actually 86 degrees here today, but not so many beautiful people! Looking forward to the next instalment... Julie & Tom