I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Mendoza Meandering

I am delighted that I got to spend five days enjoying Mendoza. It's a very welcoming city, filled with warm people who enjoy nature. It reminded me of Denver, probably because of the proximity to the Andes Mtns and great skiing. Although Mendoza is located in a desert, they have a strange open drainage system (which is treacherous for small children, animals and tourists) all around the city to keep things green and cheerful.

Independence Plaza is the centerpiece of town and includes a Modern Art Museum and a theater. Four other squares radiate outward, each with their own charm. My favorite was the Spanish Plaza which was decorated with handpainted ceramic tiles. Anja and I went to a open air market there, and I didn't want to leave it was so charming. The lovely squares are topped only by Mendoza's large parque. It was simply gorgeous. Like NY's Central Park there was a zoo, a carousel, a large lake and many beautiful tree-lined paths. On Saturday, we spent a beautiful morning exploring the parque before the afternoon adventure...

No comments: