I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Riding High Over Rio

Find the best way to spend my last day in Rio was a breeze. I went paragliding for a bird's eye view of my new favorite city. Renato Janssens, an adorable brazilian who owns a paragliding business (www.paraglideinrio.com.br), picked me up at Casa 6 and off we went to the launch site in Tijuca National Park.

First, I signed away the liability of my life, including the declaration that I had taken the instruction class, which consided of Renato saying "when we start down the launch, run and don't sit down." Then we sat together all hooked up looking straight down a mountain in the forest waiting for the right wind. Just as I began to question my sanity it was time to take off. After a scary running start, the view of the mountains, the city of Rio, the welcoming Christ the Redeemer, and the magnificient beaches was well worth it!

We floated above Rio taking it all in and taking lots of photos. I enjoyed the free flying sensation, the cute Brazilian whispering in my ear, and the brilliant landscape. We landed without a hitch in a little park next to the beach. Just like Rio, it was all very exciting!

No comments: