I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Sailing Away to Uruguay

In celebration of my first day without rain in Argentina, I decided on the spur of the moment to take a day trip to Uruguay. Thanks to my friend Holly´s recommendation, I went down to the port after breakfast and caught a boat going one hour up river to a historic town Colonia de Sacramento in Uruguay. It was a lovely day trip to the UNESCO World Heritage site.

I met three American grad students on the boat ride, and they talked me into renting scooters to tour around the island. I was astounded that the man let us take the motorbikes when we clearly had NO idea how to drive them! He obviously had no sense! We almost did serious damage to a palm tree (people came to check on us) and there was one incident with a curb jumping out in Jill´s way. However, we managed to whip around what used to be a quiet little town without killing anyone!

We spent the day touring the old city ruins, climbing the lighthouse, and of course there was shopping for handicrafts. We had a wonderful lunch, with a great bottle of wine from Uruguay, in what appeared to be one of the nicest restaurant´s in town. The bill for the four of us was $18 US! It is easy to see why people from Buenos Aires come over to spend the weekend here.

No comments: