I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The Wonder of Waterfalls

Yesterday, I flew inland to the spot where Brazil, Paraguay, and Argentina meet. Two rivers also merge in this heavenly spot and the majesty of Iguazu Falls is positively breathtaking. I landed on the Brazilian side and took a two hour walk to see the full view of the Iguazu Falls. Iguazu is the Indian word for big water, and big it is!

As I walked along absorbing the view, I finally understood why the American artist Frederick Church was so fascinated by waterfalls in both North and South America. The combination of delicate beauty and blunt force is awe-inspiring. If you add in the exotic subtropical jungle setting it is truly captivating. This would be an excellent time to be an artist, poet, or cinematographer to try to capture the scene for others to experience! I just took a million photos...

Today I spend the day on the Argentina side where you can get close to the waterfalls. I even took an adventure speed boat ride under the falls to feel the power and basically just get drenched. (Useful camping item number one was the rain poncho I packed! Also, thanks to Julie and Tom for the quick drying trail shirt set.) We also did a jungle tour in a topless Hummer where we learned about the flora in the area. There are 47 types of orchids in the park and they bloom in Sept-October. Now that´s the time to be here!

No comments: