I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Mendoza Hostel Lagares



My home in Mendoza is special enough to warrant an entry all its own! Five friends from Buenos Aires came to Mendoza to open the perfect hostel and it's called Lagares (www.hostellagares.com.ar Corrientes 213).

I received 5 star service from these friendly folks. Sebastian immediately understood my serious interest in wine and mapped out a logical schedule for my visits. Mariana, a mom-to-be, called the wineries on my list and booked two days of visits and had a rental car delivered to the hostel. Who knew you had to have a reservation for a private tour? No dropping by wineries unannounced in Argentina! Damian, who studied wine and dates Eugenia our tour guide at Nieto Senetiner, gave me expert directions and helpful tips. And, Javier set Anja and I up with his friends to paraglide. There were even traditional Argentine meals cooked on the weekends, and Javier got out the guitar and had everyone singing by the end of the evenings.

I´ve heard of the Argentine custom of passing the Mate (the strong tea the whole country drinks CONSTANTLY from cute little pots through silver straws) around for your friends to drink. Mariana spent most of the evenings giving everyone a taste and generally making the international group feel Argentine for our stay in Mendoza!

No comments: