I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Reading my thoughts on South America

My impressions of South America were influenced by the books I read while traveling. I learned from my friend Brian years ago to select books set in the country where I'm traveling. This was quite difficult with my itinerary. I brought about nine books with me and still need to buy a few more on the road. However, the selection in English can be very slim and expensive overseas.

In Brazil, I read "Eleven Minutes" by Paulo Coelho. It's the story of a poor girl from the countryside of Brazil who gets "discovered," while on a trip to Rio, to become a famous dancer. She goes to Switzerland and eventually becomes a prostitute. She bringings a Brazilian perspective on all her decisions. While an extreme story, you can definitely see an adventurous side to the South Americans. They make it a priority to enjoy life.

My most moving read was "The Motorcycle Diaries" by Ernesto "Che" Guevara. Reading such a profound and entertaining travel diary by a famous Argentinean while traveling around his homeland was incredible. Learning about Che and Alberto's escapades, and their 24 yr old's impressions helped me to understand more about the roots of Che's politics.

I was also astounded at the level and proximity of the rich and the incredibly poor in all the cities I visited. The divide is very famous in Rio complete with tours of the slums. In Mendoza, the magnificent wineries were totally surrounded by poverty like I've never seen before. In Buenos Aires, the unbelievable slums are on the outskirts of the city. However, the political unrest is represented in the middle of the action by demonstrations and strikes everyday. I saw countless workers picketing and drawing crowds. While I was in BA I was aware of a baggage handlers strike at the airport, a local bus strike, and the Colon Theatre workers went out on strike which prevented me from seeing an amazing Ballet on my last night in town!

Since I don't plan to become a revolutionary, I will close with how excited I am to have experienced the warmth and hospitality that is South America. The local people seem to take life in stride and are committed to living each day to the fullest. They are very proud of their culture and appreciate those who come to visit. It was wonderful to learn to relax more into their comfortable lifestyle.

My biggest regret was that I did not visit Peru which seemed to be a big favorite with most travelers. Also, a trip to the Amazon in either Peru or Brazil is a must for the future. And then there is Chile, and Patagonia... Needless to say I will be back again!

No comments: