I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Monday, June 20, 2005

More Bueno Barrios


Yesterday, I bundled up and set out to explore the neighborhood of San Telmo. Sunday is the big market day, and the artistic little barrio was a buzz. There were many antique stores, art galleries and handicrafts to see. They even had Tango dancing in the square. I didn´t want to leave! Luckily, I found a photographer selling fantastic photos of Tango dancers from interesting angles. I will frame a couple for my apt so that I can continue to dream of my potential Tango career.

Today, I am thrilled to report that we had a sunny day in Buenos Aires. I didn´t think it was possible after 5 straight days of drizzle. It was glorious! It was the perfect day to walk around the colorful La Boca Barrio. Anja, Jasmine and I went down to explore the portside neighborhood, and ended up hopping from cafe to cafe chasing the sun.

La Boca is the first port area of BA. It´s original inhabitants were mainly industrious Italian immigrants. They built their houses with wood and zinc and used the leftover colorful ships paint. There are still several blocks of charming, brightly colored houses by the water and many cafes to sample! The neighborhood is a center for artists, Tango and futbol. We had a fabulous sunny day basking in the local color!

No comments: