I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Thursday, June 09, 2005

A Grande Time in Ilha Grande

For a brief break in the perfection that is Ipanema, I joined Karol, my Irish roommate from Casa 6, on a trip down the Costa Verde to Ilha Grande (www.ilhagrande.com.br). We took a bus for a couple of hours, walked a mile with the backpacks and hopped on a schooner for another hour to a rustic tropical paradise.

Ilha Grande is predominantly lush green forest dotted with beautiful beaches surrounding a quaint town square. It's very casual and peaceful here, a huge contrast from Rio!

Our hostel is on the water with a magnificent view and plenty of hammocks from which to enjoy it. I was thrilled with getting our own bathroom, until I learned that the hot water is "spotty" but what can you expect for about $8 each including breakfast? My standards are drastically shifting as I ease into travel mode.

Today we took an all day trip to a beach called Lopes Mendes, which rivals any I've seen in the world so far. It is said to be the best in Brazil. We had to hike through the forest for 20 min. to reach it and were rewarded with an incredible day. I was sorry to take the boat back just before sunset. I could have stayed there in a hut on that beautiful beach indefinitely.

I've met some very fun people and plan to go back to Rio with them tomorrow, if I can tear myself away from Ilha Grande!

No comments: