I'd rather be playing with Elephants

Friday, June 17, 2005

Moving Downtown BA

After a plush couple of days staying in the Recoleta in my own room, I have changed hostels to get back in the thick of things. I am now in the Milhouse (www.milhouse.com) Hostel which is the famous party place in South America. The hostel is very well run with 157 guests on 3 floors and an active tour and travel desk. There is always a tour or activity on the board, and people around to sit and talk with. Just after I arrived they had a luncheon BBQ and I met a friend, Jasmine, from Rio and off we went.

Today, I explored the Central Barrio. It feels a bit like Washington DC to me. At the center of town is a large Obelisk (like the Washington Monument), set on a park (like the mall), and many of the street names and buildings have political significance. Their seat of the National Government, Casa Rosada, is a large pink building which stands out among the surrounding conservative architecture and parks with large palm trees. A former president of Argentina (back in 1873), ordered the building to be painted pink to symbolize the union of two political parties. One party used red and the other white as their colors. Talk about good PR!

I also went to Argentina´s ¨Broadway¨ Avenida Corrientes. The Producers and The Graduate are showing along with several interesting looking Argentine shows. I´m still in search of the Ballet House, because I saw a billboard for a program in honor of 100 years of Balanchine. Ballet tickets are not the usual request at the hostel. They are more focused on walking tours, dance parties and Futbol games!

No comments: